Search This Blog

Monday 16 January 2012

Murgir Jhol



It's been freezing for the past few days. Well I say about time!!! This winter it doesn't feel like winter in Cambridge at all. Not that I'm complaining but I'm a bit worried as this only proves that the Global warming is at it's best. If we don't get worried and start working towards the betterment then when would we? I've made a few changes at home and in my kitchen to save some on our bills and also to contribute a little towards the environment. 
Please have a look on the internet so you can research and find out about what's bet for your kitchen and Nature too :). One of the appliances I cannot live without is my Cookworks slowcooker. It's super cheap, economical, no-mess no-fuss use and makes any kind of meat so tender that people keep on asking for the secret tip :). And did I mention the best feature? You can just put your meat in i and forget about it for a few hours. Perfect for those girlie coffee sessions or shopping trips.






Murgir Jhol - Chicken Curry
Recipe by Sohini Biswas, 15th Jan 2012


This is a recipe that I created based on what my mom used to make. Now I don't exactly remember the exact ingredients but the heavenly taste and aroma have been etched in my brain and taste bud and that has helped me to recreate the dish.

Ingredients : 

Chicken - 1 whole cut into medium-small pieces
Potato - 3 large halved (optional)
Onions - 2 large grated coarsely
Ginger Paste - 2tsp
Garlic Paste - 2-3tsp
Tomato - 2 large (I use the canned plum ones)
Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Cumin Powder - 2tsp
Salt - 1and 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1tsp
Chilli Powder - 2tsp
Tamarind Paste - 1/2 tsp (optional..I use it for the lovely dark colour it adds to the food)
Bay Leaves - 2-3
Bengali Garam Masala - 1tsp
Sunflower oil to cook.
Mustard Oil - 1tbsp (optional)


Method : 

Wash and prick chicken with a fork. Marinade with yogurt, mustard oil and cumin powder for a few hours.

In a pan/wok heat the oil. Fry the potatoes and reserve.

Add the bay leaves and fry for a few seconds. 

Add the onion and fry for a few minutes or till it starts changing colour. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry well.

Add the tomatoes and cook well for a few minutes till oil separates. Add the salt, sugar, turmeric and chilli powder and cook well.

Add the tamarind paste and cook well. Add the chicken and potatoes and toss to coat them with the masala paste. Add a 2 cups of hot water and mix well. Put it in the slow cooker with more hot water(refer to the manufacturer's handbook). Mine normally takes about 3 hrs to cook chicken.

You can cook it in the pan/wok by covering it in case you don't want to use the slowcooker. In that case cook for 30 mins or until the meat and potatoes are thoroughly cooked and tender. Add the garam masala. Serve hot with steamed/boiled rice.





This unattractive photo is how the chicken looked straight out of the slowcooker :D Sorry about the photos By the time I finished cooking and styling the sun was down (Thanks to the limited daylight hours during the winter months!) and had click the photos under the dining light. 







* Here's what I found out after doing some research on energy saving - http://www.uswitch.com/energy-saving-tips/energy-efficient-cooking/


3 comments:

The Mortician said...

Thank you Sohini for putting such mouth-watering recipe which not only easy to cook but also delicious. You bring out the cook in me!

Unknown said...

oh global warming is def at its best, the same ehre Sohini, this year we have very late snow fall and winter is quite messy here...and i use energy saving lamp, slow cooker i want to own one...and murgir jhol lady i'm I invited?

Cassia Bark said...

@Ashmita thanks baby :)...

@Ananda...I know...it feels so weird to not having to wear all those jackets, scarves etc....and no snow at all in the UK this year :(...I'd definitely advice to buy the slow cooker...dishes like hotpots, casseroles and meat curries come out so much better if u slow cook them :)